Friday, October 10, 2008

Creator of Facebook React

The article about Mark Zuckerberg (the creator of Facebook) was interesting. I was kind of surprised to know that users weren't aware that their information was being sent to millions of people as soon as they post it. That's the reason I don't have an account there (or any of those type sites), not because I am old. I don't need millions of people in my biz.

The opt-out option was an absolute must for this type of website. The fact that it wasn't an option to begin is beyond me, but at least he got smart (like he wasn't smart enough) and made sure that people could opt to not have ALL of their personal stuff sent to everyone who knows them in an instant.

What is funny about this is the fact that a lot of people, once they got over their initial "freak out" session, decided to keep the News Feed option on their page. I don't understand that at all. But, if people are using Facebook as a way to meet and find people, they are asking for this kind of stuff. Just my opinion......

3 comments:

Tim said...

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, although I do have a facebook account. (I just beef up my privacy settings since I use it to keep in touch with people.) While there are lots of people out there like you and me, there were always be those people that love having their info displayed everywhere (as if they're marking their territory or something). My personal opinion is that this entire thing is just a fad. And just being older doesn't make you immune to the fad, as you point out. It's a matter of not wanting people in your biz, as you say. But I think those who enjoy all of facebook's endless uses will probably grow out of the fad, if nothing else because they get tired of it or stop having time to devote to it.

Anonymous said...

I didn’t see an article about Facebook on the NMC 301 blackboard, but I want to talk about it now that you brought it up. First I need to state that I have never had a Facebook or Myspace page, and never will without some good incentive. What’s funny to me about what you wrote is that people were surprised to learn that random people on Facebook read what they post. There has been a similar reaction in my NMC 101 class as well. People are joining a social network, the soul purpose of which is to allow anyone in the network to interact with anyone else in that network, and then they are surprised when it happens. It makes me wonder if the large amount of time that young people spend on the internet in contact with one another (relative to 10 years ago) affects their ability to distinguish the real world from a virtual communication in a virtual world. Is it possible that in the future people will just not speak face to face at all in college because X website is so much cooler than real life?

-Rex

parkgster said...

I was also surprised when people didn't know that their information is being sold. I mean, how is it possible that the inbox fills up. Its pretty much simple, if you put the information up and they match it to a product then that company will bombard your inbox with messages relating to your information.